1.31.2015

Project Read || January Wrap-Up

Hey, everyone!  I've got a non-scrappy post for you today.  In case you haven't been following along, a few weeks ago I created "Project Read".  I set a goal for myself to read 35 books this year and document my progress in Project Life to hold myself accountable to my goal.  I'm proud to say that I am on track for the month of January, having read a total of 3 books.  It may not seem like a lot, but it's probably a third of the amount of books I read last year.  I'm so glad I'm making time to read!

Here's what I read this month:


Socially Awkward by Stephanie Haddad - This book is what I refer to as a "chick lit" book - highly entertaining, not at all thought-provoking.  These books are my guilty pleasure.  I love them and I figured this kind of book was the perfect way to ease my way back into the world of reading regularly.  This book is about a young woman who creates a fake Facebook profile for one of her classes and her life quickly spirals out of control as a result.  It's definitely entertaining, but a bit unrealistic.  

Yes Please by Amy Poehler - I've had this book sitting on my Kindle for a few months now, but wasn't totally interested to read it.  I bought it on a whim and then wondered why.  I'm not usually into autobiographies.  However, I saw a slew of good reviews for the book all at once and decided to try it.  I'm glad I did.  There were parts that had me laughing out loud and it was interesting to learn a lot more about the star of one of my favorite TV shows - Parks and Recreation.  I am happy to say that I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a good laugh.

What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty - I LOVE Liane Moriarty's books.  I said I probably read 9 books last year - 2 of them were hers.  Her books are similar to "chick lit," but they usually still get me thinking.  I've already read The Husband's Secret and Big Little Lies, so I decided to read this earlier book of hers.  This book is about Alice, a 39 year old woman who wakes up on the gym floor after an accident and thinks she's still 29.  She forgets a whole 10 years of her life - including her kids and pending divorce.  Like Moriarty's other books, I loved this one, too.  It explores relationships and some heavier topics.  This book doesn't contain the "big twist" that Moriarty fans are used to, but it's still very good.  Once again, I recommend it to anyone looking for a quick, interesting read.

So, tell me...what books have you read recently?  Any that you would recommend to me?

2 comments:

Cook Scrap Craft said...

I LOVED What Alice Forgot!! Big Little Lies is on my to-read list right now along with Yes, Please. Have you read Tina Fey's Bossypants? That'll have you LOL'ing too!

Shere said...

Thanks for the recommendations. I am always on the lookout for a great read and since I burned through my favorites authors new book, I really need some right now. Your description of Moriarty's book was great and with a name like Moriarty, she has to be interesting, right?